The first Kids Voting USA – Wisconsin/Marathon County mock political convention for high school students was held in 2012 and focused on the national presidential nomination process. Our third mock political convention will be held in March 2018 and will focus on the state process for endorsing a gubernatorial candidate.
Our goals for the students participating in the mock political conventions include:
- To stimulate students’ interest in continuing to be active and engaged adult voters.
- To learn through this simulation the workings of a political convention leading to the election of the United States President and Vice-President or Governor.
- To develop skills in decision-making, listening, compromising, and personal leadership.
- To develop an appreciation for the art of compromise and understand the need for bipartisan cooperation in the working of our government.
- To gain an appreciation for the political diversity of the United States population as reflected in the political parties.