The first Kids Voting USA – Wisconsin/Marathon County mock political convention for high school students was held in 2012 and focused on the national presidential nomination process. Our second mock political convention will be held in March 2014 and focus on the state process for endorsing a gubernatorial candidate.
Our goals for the students participating in the mock political conventions include:
- To learn through this simulation the workings of a political convention leading to the election of the United States President and Vice-President or Governor.
- To develop skills in decision-making, listening, compromising, and personal leadership.
- To develop an appreciation for the art of compromise and understand the need for bipartisan cooperation in the working of our government.
- To have students acquaint themselves with the University of Wisconsin – Marathon County facilities.
To gain an appreciation for the political diversity of the United States population as reflected in the political parties.
- To have students engaged in this experience to a level that will stimulate their interest in continuing to be active and engaged adult voters.